Pupils with SEND
The Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Co-ordinator (SENDCo) is Mrs K Ali.
Should you have any further questions about Special Educational Needs and Disabilities at Grange Park Junior School, please feel free to contact Mrs K Ali on 0208 353 4265
At Grange Park Junior School, all pupils, regardless of their particular needs, receive quality first teaching that is differentiated, personalised and that meets the needs of all children, enabling them to make the best possible progress and feel that they are a valued member of the wider school community. We expect that all pupils with SEND will meet or exceed the high expectations we set for them, based on their age and starting points.
As a school, we ensure that pupils with SEND have the support they need, whilst having access to a broad and balanced curriculum. Working in partnership with families, it is our aim that pupils will become confident individuals able to make a successful transition on to the next phase of their education.
In the classroom
SEND pupils are supported in different ways in the classroom, some of these include:
- differentiated work- this is to ensure pupils have work catered to ability
- teacher support
- teaching assistant support
- resources-this can include sloped board, talking tiles, concrete objects, coloured overlays etc.
- Help Desk- this is a designated space in the classroom where resources to support pupils are kept.
All SEND pupils take part in interventions, however our aim is for pupils to be remain in class where possible and be supported through quality first teaching. We have different interventions in place to support different needs. Some of these include:
- 1:1 reading - pupils spend 10 minutes a day reading with an adult.
- Speech and language therapy - this is directed by the speech and language therapist and involves pupils working in groups to complete activities to support with their speech and language needs.
- Direct phonics - this is a catch up intervention for pupils who did not meet the phonics requirements in KS1.
- Talk Boost - this is an intervention aimed at pupils with delayed language that boosts pupils language skills.
- English Junior Type - this is an intervention that teaches pupils to touch type in order to make working on a computer or laptop more effective. It also focuses on spelling.
- Stile - this is quick and engaging intervention used to support pupils in recapping key concepts in reading, writing and mathematics.
All pupils on our SEND register will have an individualised Learning Plan. This is a document created together with the school, parents and child that gives pupils up to three targets to work on for a term.
It outlines how they will supported at school, how families can support at home and the expected outcomes. This is reviewed each term (in line with parents' evenings) with the school, parents and child, and a copy is sent home. Pupils have a child friendly copy of their targets displayed in their classroom.
The following policies and documents can be accessed on policies page, by clicking the link below.
- Special Educational Needs and Disability Policy
- SEND Information Report
- Accessibility Plan