Prefects at Grange Park Junior School are selected for displaying attributes that make them outstanding role models for their peers. The prefect team is made up of children from years five and six who demonstrate the ten school values and know how to support their peers in a positive way, therefore enabling all our pupils 'to be the best that they can be.'
Children must apply for the role of a prefect by submitting a letter to the SLT. Based on their letter a child may then be invited to interview where they have the opportunity to discuss their views and ideas based on a particular set of questions. The prefect team is then selected from the group of children that came for interview.
The 2019-20 prefects are: Akansha, Malaika, Hocine, Ayelka, Taveena, Zuzanna, Isra, Maqfir, Krishni, Arzo, Baaraujan, Tharun, Rishi, Banjeet, Rohit, Suhaan, Segloiry, Ali and J.J.
Prefect jobs include:
- spending time with children over lunch to encourage conversation and social skills, an emphasis being on sitting with children that may be eating alone
- helping out in assemblies
- helping to supervise the foyer entrance and corridors over lunchtime
- being the face of Grange Park Junior School by meeting and greeting visitors
- offering help to class teachers
- doing errands for the Admin Team
- helping out in the library
- helping at Parents' Evenings
- supporting with fundraising for the school
The prefects have been split into two further teams and will develop additional roles from Spring 2020 onwards. A prefect will either be:
- A Wellbeing Champion - to further develop and promote positive wellbeing amongst their peers by being peer mentors, mentors to younger children and also running additional mindfulness, meditation and relaxation sessions for children over lunchtimes.
- A Junior Road Safety Officer - to help the school support environmental issues in relation to safe travel such as walk to school weeks, bikeability, use of public transport on school trips to reduce carbon emissions and pupil and parent pledges for safer, environmentally friendly travel coming to and from school.
Head boy and Head girl
Every year the school community votes for the head boy and head girl. Any year 6 prefect that wishes to be head boy or girl is able to apply. All the prospective candidates present speeches (they are amazing) to the whole school as to why they should be selected. All of the school community (pupils and staff) vote for the candidate that they feel is best for the role. After counting - and recounting - all of the votes the winners are announced.
This year's team is: